wix8171391

A.

THE RIVER BASIN CHALLENGE

 

A.

 WHICH STRATEGIES CAN BE DESIGNED TO RE-BALANCE THE SHIFTING REGIMES OF THE BASIN TO DEVELOP INTEGRATED WATER MANAGEMENT?

APRESENTLY, A MONOCULTURE OF EXOTIC SPECIES COVERS APPROXIMATELY THE 36 % OF THE BASIN. AFTER THE DEVASTATING FIRES OF 2017 ANOTHER 36% IS COVERED BY BURNED FOREST BOTH NATIVE AND EXOTIC 1. THE NONGUÉN RESERVATION AND A NUMBER OF RAVINES THAT ARE DIFFICULT TO ACCESS ARE THE ONLY REMAINING AREAS WITH NATIVE VEGETATION REPRESENTING AROUND THE 3% OF THE COVER.

THE BASIN’S POPULATION IS ABOUT 100,000 PEOPLE, 10% OF WHICH IS CONCENTRATED IN THE UPPER SECTION OF THE RIVER (FLORIDA). THE REMAINING 90% ARE MAINLY URBAN INHABITANTS THAT ARE DISTRIBUTED OVER THE 4% OF THE BASIN IN THE LOWER AREA 2. THERE ARE AROUND 12,000 PEOPLE WHO INHABIT FLOOD RISK AREAS.

THESE TWO FACTORS GENERATE THE SEASONAL HAZARDS THAT AFFECT THE BASIN QUITE DIFFERENTLY. DURING THE SUMMER, THE UPPER BASIN SUFFERS FROM SEVERE WATER SCARCITY (THE AREA HAS BEEN DECLARED UNDER “AGRICULTURAL EMERGENCY” AT LEAST OVER THE LAST 15 YEARS) AND DURING THE WINTER, THE LOWER BASIN PRESENTS RISK OF FLOODING, A DANGEROUS SCENARIO WHILE IN THE UPPER BASIN EROSION IS UNLEASHED THROUGH THE EXOGENOUS FORESTATION AND WOOD FIRES.

CONFLICTS